Meaford No.1

 

This is a Barclay 0-4-0 diesel hydraulic shunter, which was donated to the railway by National Power, with some help from our friends the Foxfield Railway.


The locomotive was built at Barclay's Kilmarnock's Works in 1957/8 (works number 440), supplied as No. 1, with three identical sisters, to High Marham Power Station near Newark. In 1969 Nos. 1, 3 and 4 were transfered to Meaford Power Station near Stone. The journey was made by rail, however the locomotives all suffered heated bearings and were stopped at Creswell. As a result, BR apparantly had to foot the bill for the machining of the locos' axleboxes and journals! After they completed the journey by road and were repaired, the locomotives were repainted and given the numbers 1, 2 and 3. Later they were joined by an 0-6-0 diesel, also built by Barclays, which became No. 4. In 1982 Nos. 2 and 3 were scrapped, leaving Nos. 1 and 4 which survived into preservation.

 

As part of the deal with National Power, the railway was obliged to repaint the loco into their house colours of bright red and blue - a livery which No. 4 now supports on the Foxfield line.

 

Mechanically the locomotive was in excellent condition upon arrival, and also came with a fully recorded service history from Barclays. Since then it has fulfilled the need for a heavy shunter to move dead locomotives around at Embsay. Currently it is in full working order.

T. Warner


Gallery